PAN-FRIED PETRALE SOLE
- 1 pound Petrale sole fillets
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Water
- Bread crumbs
- 6 tbsp Butter, divided
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Minced parsley
- Pat both sides of each filet dry with paper towels and season lightly with salt and pepper. If they are very large, cut in half width-wise on the diagonal. The ideal serving size is 3 to 4 ounces per filet.
- Place about 1 cup of flout in the middle of a large dinner plate. Beat the egg with the water in a large flat-bottomed bowl. Put about 2 cups of bread crumbs in the middle of another large dinner plate.
- Working 1 filet at a time, lay the fish in the flour and dust both sides, shaking off any excess. Then dip the fish in the egg wash, coating both sides and wiping with your fingers to remove any excess. Bury the filet in the bread crumbs and press lightly so they adhere. Set the filet aside on a wire baking rack placed over a baking sheet. Repeat to bread all of the fillets. (The recipe can be prepared up to this point and refrigerated on the rack over the baking sheet for up to 6 hours.)
- When ready to cook, melt 4 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted and finished bubbling, dip a corner of 1 filet into it; it should immediately begin to sizzle. If it does not, remove the fish and let the butter heat a little more. This should only take 20 to 30 seconds more; do not let the butter burn.
- When the butter is hot enough, lay each filet in the skillet, being careful not to crowd the fish. Cook until the underside is golden borwn, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the filets; cook until you can easily slip the point of a sharp knife into the center, 3 to 4 minutes more. remove to a platter lined with paper towels and keep warm.
- Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel. Melt the remaining 2 tbsp of butter in the skillet over high heat. When it sizzles, whisk in the lemon juice and parsley.
- Salt fish lightly, and put it on a serving plate. Drizzle with the lemon butter.
Click here to translate this page into several different languages