A GREAT BIG SQUIDGY DINNER
- 8 Vine tomatoes
- 4 tbl Olive Oil
- 4 sprg Fresh thyme
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Potato, scrubbed clean
- 1 tsp Roughly chopped fresh ginger
- 2 Eggs
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 8 tbl Self-raising flour
- 1 tbl Chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 2 Lemons, juice of
- 2 Turkey breast steaks, about 350g cut into gougon strips
- 25gm Butter
- 8 tbl Milk, about
- 1 bn Edible dandelion leaves
Washed, dried, and roughly chooped
A few edible nasturtium and marigold flowers
- 1 lrg Onion, chopped
- 1 tbl Clear honey
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f/Gas 6.
- Slice one tomato and retain. Cut a cross in the top of each remaining tomato and arrange in a small roasting tin.
- Drizzle over 2 tbsp olive oil and lay the thyme sprigs and garlic on top. Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender.
- Peel the potato and retain the peelings. Chop the potato into cubes, add to a pan of boiling salted water.
- Simmer for five minutes, add the chopped ginger to the pan and continue cooking until the potatoes are tender.
- Cook the eggs in a pan of boiling water for about 7-10 minutes, depending on taste. Remove the shells and cut in half.
- Fill a deep pan one third full with vegetable oil and heat. Place the flour in a bowl, add the chopped tarragon, bicarbonate of soda and juice of 1 lemon.
- Add enough milk to make a batter. Dip the turkey pieces in the batter to coat and deep fry until cooked through and golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Deep fry the potato peelings until golden and drain on kitchen paper. Drain the potatoes and ginger and mash with butter, 2 tbsp milk and season.
- For the Salad: Toss together the dandelion leaves, nasturtium and marigolds and half of the sliced tomato in a bowl.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a small pan. Add the chopped onion and cook gently until softened and golden, add the honey and juice of 1 lemon, mix together and season.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and pile onto the centre of a plate. Sit the hard boiled eggs on top.
- Spoon the mash onto another plate, sit the turkey gougons on top and arrange the remaining tomato slices around the edge of the plate.
Click here to translate this page into several different languages